CNC Turning for making machined parts
Pioneer Service offers CNC turning and milling for precision machined parts with very tight tolerances down to +/- .0001” (+/-2.5 µm) and diameters from .145” (5 mm) to 2.5” (65 mm). We are an AS9100D and ISO 9001:2015 certified CNC turning component shop focused on providing quality prototype through production quantities. With our CNC turning centers, we machine complex parts quickly and competitively. We offer precision CNC turning for a wide range of applications.[layerslider id=”9″]
What is CNC Turning?
CNC Turning is the manufacturing process in which bars of material are held in a chuck and rotated while a tool is fed to the piece to remove material to create the desired shape. If the center has both turning and milling capabilities, such as the one above, the rotation can be stopped to allow for milling out of other shapes. Turning parts on CNC turning centers allows for a wide range of complexities, sizes, and material types.
- The starting material, though usual round, can be other shapes such as squares or hexagons. Each bar shape and size may require a specific “collet” ( a subtype of chuck—that forms a collar around the object).
- Depending on the bar feeder, the bar length can vary.
- CNC lathes or turning centers have tooling mounted on a turret which is computer-controlled.
- CNC’s with “live” tooling, such as those at Pioneer Service, can also stop the rotation and add additional features such as drilled holes, slots and milled surfaces.
- Some CNC turning centers have one spindle, allowing work to be done all from one side, while other turning centers, such as the one shown above, have two spindles, a main and sub-spindle. A part can be partially machined on the main spindle, moved to the sub-spindle and have additional work done to the other side this configuration.
- There are many different kinds of CNC turning centers with various types of tooling options, spindle options, and outer diameter limitations.
Is my part a good fit for CNC turning?
While a lot of factors go into determining if a part can be made most cost-effectively on a CNC turning center, some things we look at are:
- How many parts are needed short-term and long-term? CNC turning centers are generally good for prototypes to short-run volumes.
- What is the largest OD on the part? For the CNC turning centers at Pioneer Service, the maximum OD for colleted (bar feed-capable) parts is 2.5.”
- Parts over 2.5″ OD are chucked individually, which depending on volume, can contribute to the price.
- Parts under 1.25″ OD and medium to high volume may be a better fit for the Swiss screw machines.
When it comes to machining parts, there are a lot of variables. Pioneer Service can help you determine the best way to have your parts made. We have multiple machining platforms and will look for the most economical fit. Even if our equipment is not the best fit for your part, we can point you in the right direction. Contact us for help with your requirements.
Why buy CNC Turned parts from Pioneer Service?
One-stop Shopping – prototyping through high-volume production
Design engineers value our commitment to rapid prototyping with a dedicated CNC. We know that when you’re testing your ideas, you need fast turn-around on quotes and parts. We’re here to make your job easier by providing feedback that only comes from experience. And when you’re ready for production, your supplier development and purchasing team will be glad you’re working with one company that can handle the volume with the same quality as the prototype.
Machining Options – newest generation CNC Turning Centers in-house
Our 6-axis CNCs meet demands because they:
- Can accommodate off-center drilling, milling and tapping with Y-axis turrets, dual spindles and a 24-position turret.
- Allow all operations to be completed in one setup due to synchronized C1-axis (main spindle) and C2-axis (sub-spindle) indexing.
- Can make complex parts quickly with non-stop, bi-directional indexing turrets that take only .2 second to move to the next position.
- Eliminate secondary operations with Y-axis drilling.
- Can turn and mill pre-hardened material with a 20 HP main spindle and 10 HP sub-spindle.
- Ensure minimum bending and torsion during heavy-duty cuts and high-speed turning operations due to cast iron structure and 30 degree slant bed design.
Prototype Capacity – dedicated CNC Turning Center solely for prototypes
Prototyping and short-runs are an important part of our business. We have dedicated a CNC turning center solely for prototypes.
Quick Responses – DFM reviews and quotes when you need them
Our team of experienced professionals can provide “Design for engineering” (DFM) support and let you know production feasibility. We know that when you’re testing your ideas, you need fast turn-around on quotes and we’re ready to help. Quality CNC turned parts are best built with great relationships!
Lead-Times – provide your clients a competitive advantage
All our capabilities and experience add up to shorter lead-times. When you’re ready for a prototype, we know delivery is critical. We have resources set aside to ensure quick delivery on prototype orders.
Inventory Control – customized Supplier Managed Inventory options
At Pioneer Service, our inventory programs are as unique as our customers. We understand the challenges of forecasting and offering stocking programs at no additional cost. With our on-hand stock, we’re there when there’s a spike in demand.
We know that bringing on a new supplier can be time-consuming. Our dedicated Quality Assurance staff and experienced operations team will help make that process run smoothly. By working with Pioneer Service, OEM’s receive the added value of supplier diversity spend, since we are a certified Woman-Owned business, as recognized by the WBENC, WOSB, and California’s Public Utilities.
CNC Turning Overview
|Tolerance (+/-)||0.0001 in
Air Conditioning / Compressor
Automotive (Bushings, Gaskets, Valves Plugs, Valve Seats)
Bio-Tech Test Equipment
Oil & Gas
Plastic Injection Molding
Pump and Valve
Precision Electronic Hardware
Turning: Contour turning, form turning, taper turning, straight turning
|Production Volume||Specialty Production Shop
Large Scale Production Volume Run
|Lead Times Available||Quoted on job by job basis
Emergency services available
Rush Services Available
Just in Time (J.I.T.) Deliveries
|Industry Standards||AS9100D and ISO 9001:2015 – Certified|
|Equipment||Samsung CNC Turning Centers
CNC Control Capabilities
Fully integrated bar feeders
|Quality Documentation||Inspection Report
First Article Inspection
|Materials (Metals)||Alloy Steels (4130, 4140)
Aluminum (2011 6061-T6, 2024)
Carbon Steel (12L14, 1215)
Stainless Steel (303, 304, 316, 321, 303SE, 420, 440C, 17-4)
And much more!
|Materials (Plastic Polymers)||ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene)
Fiberglass Reinforced Plastics
PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride)
PVDF (Polyvinylidene Fluoride)
|File Formats||PDF (Preferred format, however 3D models are helpful in addition)
Solid Works (SLDPRT, SLDDRW, DLDDRT)
Additional services: Deburring, burnishing and tumbling, centerless grinding plus a number of outside services such as heat-treating, plating and anodizing and passivating are available to provide complete parts.
At Pioneer Service, we know the quality of our reputation is based on the quality of our parts and ability to meet delivery dates. That’s why our objective is to provide defect-free parts on time, 100% of the time. Contact us and let us know how we can help you with top-notch CNC turning services.
we do cnc turned parts, precision cnc turning, precision turned parts, cnc precision turning, cnc turning and milling, cnc turning & milling, turned part manufacturing, small parts machining, stainless steel turned parts, cnc turning services, cnc turning service, precision turning parts, precision turned parts manufactures, cnc turning part, cnc turning parts, machined turned parts, precision turned parts supplier, turning parts manufacturer, cnc precision turned components,